Covering Artex On Cielings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to decorate my 2 bed terraced cottage over the course of the summer (I live alone and work full time which is why I'm allowing the whole summer!!!). I have very little experience of decorating/DIY so am trying to get some background info before I start.

The cielings are currently artexed (ugh!!), what is the best way of covering them? I do not want the mess/expense of having them skimmed, but am hoping theres some sort of stuff I can paint on which will provide a flatter surface which I can paint on. Any suggestions much appreciated. :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
The only way to get them really flat is to have a plasterer skim them. There are no paints on the market that will flatten an artexed ceiling properly. I've caulked ceilings flat using thickly mixed artex, but you need to go over the ceiling a couple of times to get it flat and it never looks as good as a plastered ceiling.

Agreed, skimming is best option for guaranteed results.

Don't be tempted by products like Polycell Smooth Over for ceilings as they are expensive and time consuming, plus they will not produce anywhere near the same results that a good plasterer will.

Sponsored Links
Does skimming a cieling involve a lot of mess?? My house is small and it will be impossible to move furniture out of any room which is being skimmed?

Does skimming a cieling involve a lot of mess?? My house is small and it will be impossible to move furniture out of any room which is being skimmed?

The plasterer may have to scrape off some of the artex depending on the pattern, then apply a coat of unibond and allow to dry then apply a second coat of unibond and when this starts going tacky he will then skim. It can be messy but a good tradesman will cover everything with dustsheets. If there's large items of furniture such as sofas they will probably have to be taken out of the room as he will need complete access to the ceiling and that means lots of floor space. If you've nowhere else to put the furniture I'd suggest having the work done on a dry day and put the furniture in the garden perhaps.

A good plasterer won't make much mess at all and will cover any unmoveable items but will still want the rooms as empty as possible.

Depending on ceiling heights they may need to set up some form of working platform.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back