Covering concrete hearth patch in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a concrete patch left where tiles previously used to be, in a room that is mostly wooden flooring. I'm trying to decide what to do with it - options I can think of include:

1. Paint it a neutral colour (but will still look out of place)
2. Cover it with a small rug (might look a bit random!)
3. Cover it with some sort of wooden chest/trunk
4. Try to retile it (but then will still look weird I think have a random tiled patch in the room)

It's in front of the chimney brickwork.

Honestly don't know what the previous owner was thinking! Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210812_162558.jpg
    20210812_162558.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 194
Sponsored Links
I guess it is what a stove/burner of something once stood on.
You could dig it out enough to put some new boards down, but then, those would look out of place too unless matched very well.
I'd probably just hide it under something if I didn't fancy breaking the concrete out

Is there anywhere that you could acquire extra boards from?
Say- the bathroom floor or landing? Then use them to match into what you have?
Replace the other floor with boards/ply.

You'd probably make the heck of a mess lowering the concrete slab but it's possible.
Or just removal of the whole slab might be easier?

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I have a concrete patch left where tiles previously used to be, in a room that is mostly wooden flooring. I'm trying to decide what to do with it - options I can think of include:

1. Paint it a neutral colour (but will still look out of place)
2. Cover it with a small rug (might look a bit random!)
3. Cover it with some sort of wooden chest/trunk
4. Try to retile it (but then will still look weird I think have a random tiled patch in the room)

It's in front of the chimney brickwork.

Honestly don't know what the previous owner was thinking! Any ideas appreciated.
It’s been there since the house was built and intended to stop the house burning down when it had an open fireplace .

You could remove and replace with floorboards .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back