Floorboards over concrete hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently having my orginal floorboards renovated and restored (1930s house).

The floorer has said I should floorboard over my concrete hearth - there is no fireplace there as I have taken out the chimney breasts (first floor).

Is that reccomended? I would hate having the hearth exposed and retiled as I think they'd look odd in the room.

I would love to floorboard over the hearth but have heard some say that it not going to last as its prone to coming off - i.e. it would be better to break the hearth and in joists and THEN floorboard over.

Basically I'm asking is glueing the floorboards over the hearth a good alternative to breaking the concrete hearth? Will it last?

Sponsored Links
Not sure about will it last, but would be concerned about damp. I had damp and woodworm around my hearth in my 1930s bungalow. I removed down to subfloor and put new joist in.

No damp in first floor hearth, remove completely so you can board over . You will need to remove a few existing floor boards and replace right through to wall for a good job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back