Covering this gap in the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions on how best to cover this area [see picture below]

The cables are lying on the girder. This was to allow the cables to go up the wall. I have a few ideas, one includes adding a small wood piece to the base of the wall (studs/plasterboard) perpendicular and right in the middle and add a thin metal/steel sheet across it.

For example.

The cables are video/audio/data and will be one electric cable also.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks :D

Sponsored Links
could you not install a unit to cover the area like shelve drawer or hifi ect
or can you close it up as no acess required :cry:

is that flooring and is this a room as that flooring is not fit for purpose by the looks off it
can you pan out and take another picture

No needs to be covered, carpet will be going ontop.

Also the that sections was cut out by the carpenter to make room for the cables. As for the rest of the flooring, its fine, it almost new.

just doesn't look right
when you cut out floor you replace the same board
iff the same board cannot be replaced then its not done properly
are the cables occupying some off the space the boards should occupy ??
can i please have a picture as it looks wrong to me

Sponsored Links
Cant add the same board as it wouldnt fit as the cables take up the space. So the board even if cut properly cant go in that space. Thats why i was thinking a thin metal sheet supported by a small wood piece.

Cant take any other pics right now but heres some other I already have.

not been though out then unfortunatelty
if you wish to use steel it must be worked out properly and specked accordingly as in thickness with support provided accross the span over the wires as required
the boards must be rebated for the steel to sit flush but must be strong enough to support the steel if not fully supported on the joists where they join

as in you or your carpenter should have worked out what required to cover that gap or route the wires another route to comply

Must remember we're not holding up a roof here. Its just an 8 or so inch span which is ontop of a beam.

Not sure what needs to be spec'd or thought through.

Having said that, yes its not ideal. But was the only option to pass cables up the wall from under the floor.

I think i'll just add 3 wooden batten between the cables (either edge and middle) and screw in a thin sheet of steel.

ok game plan
work out what thickness off steel you can use without touching the the cables
if you feel it will be strong enough then rebate the timbers all round to let it sit flush and secure
i know its not a roof but underspecked flooring will creak and groan and possibly fail if overloaded

its up to you really iff its under spec it will be fine if not overloaded with furniture or footfall
i try and go for up to standard and take it from there rather than aim for the minimum and hope

Agreed will do as much as possible to make it solid, will add wood between the cables and have a 2-3mm (maybe) steel sheet to cover it. Thats really all that can be done, it would have been perfect if the area had more depth but its only about 18 or 22mm (based on the chipboard size)

Anyhow, will get the measurements and clearance of the top of the cables to floor level and buy steel piece accordingly.

Thanks for the help big-all!

As big-all said not been thought through, that’s why you’re here asking what to do, if the cables were properly installed (ie lower) then the same material as the existing could be used ……

As big-all said not been thought through, that’s why you’re here asking what to do, if the cables were properly installed (ie lower) then the same material as the existing could be used ……

Well I did say it was not an ideal approach, to go over the beam. The idea was to go under and behind but this was the only way possible. So its not ideal but only option. So not thought through doesnt even factor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back