Covering up central heating pipes in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Im currently having gas central heating installed in my flat, and as part of this process Im having pipes embedded in the wall

My question is, what would be the the best way to conceal these - my concern is that the pipes may expand and contract with the cold/hot water travelling through them which could damage the concealing plaster.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
So are these pipes or cables? I'm slightly confused as your post title says 'cables' and then you refer to pipes in the text.

If pipes then I would want to see some kind of metal capping over them. Otherwise if just plastered in no-one will know they are there and the potential for drilling in to them would be high. Plus they don't look deep enough to leave room for any protection.

If cables then the electricians on here will advise about the regs for concealed cables.

apologies, I posted this before I had my coffee

These are indeed pipes, plastic piping to be specific - is there over the counter solutions available in terms of metal covers that would allow me to effectively cover and protect these?

Its my intention to photograph all of the locations where there are pipework within the walls and collate as a booklet to advise any future homeowner of where the pipes are

Sponsored Links
I would suggest something like this http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categories/16002-steel-galvanised-capping-channeling

Only problem will be the smooth surface which plaster won't adhere to effectively so it may need some expanded metal lath over the top as well. Hence my comment that the chase isn't deep enough (or wide enough) to allow for suitable protection.

Your idea about the property handbook may be a benefit but it won't always be the householder doing the work so may be of limited use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back