Covid mortality predictor

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Nine out of 10 deaths from coronavirus have occurred in countries with high obesity levels, according to World Health Organization-backed research that sets out the stark correlation between excessive weight and lives lost to the disease.

The study from the World Obesity Federation (WOF), which represents scientists, medical professionals and researchers from more than 50 regional and national obesity associations, showed mortality rates were 10 times higher where at least 50 per cent of the population was overweight.

FT.com

The report, released ahead of world obesity day on Thursday, did not find a single example of a country where less than 40 per cent of the population was overweight having high death rates.

On the other hand, no country with high death rates — at least 100 per 100,000 — had less than 50 per cent of its population overweight.

Sponsored Links

Vietnam, for example, has the lowest recorded death rate in the world and the second lowest level of overweight people: just 0.04 per 100,000 deaths from Covid-19 and 18.3 per cent of adults overweight, according to WHO data.

In contrast, the UK has the third highest death rate in the world and the fourth highest obesity rate, at 184 deaths per 100,000 and 63.7 per cent of adults overweight. It is followed by the US with about 152 deaths per 100,000 and almost 68 per cent obese.

So are they saying that the'virus' targets fat bar stewards?

Sponsored Links
So are they saying that the'virus' targets fat bar stewards?

Perhaps they are suggesting that obesity is not conducive to good health and long life.

Would that be a surprise?

That’s no surprise TBH. Overweight people have always been at risk of other ailments such as heart and liver disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, strokes, cancer etc etc. Seriously, when Mrs Mottie is transcribing notes for her gastroenterologist consultants, she often knows just by reading the test results that it’s going to be a biggun. That’s why she's always going on at me to watch my weight....

Last edited:
Being overweight increases your risk for all types of illness. Any illness that gives your heart and lungs a pounding is going to hit people with poor cardio ability.

having put 10kg on over 2020 due to moving less. I’m now back to healthy weight mainly through running. I try to do 100km a month, mixed in with a bit of HIIT and strength training.

I mainly run, so that I can eat and drink what I want, when I want and it works.

news today says U.K. death rate back to normal by Easter.

news today says U.K. death rate back to normal by Easter.
Does that mean flu will make a comeback?

'viruses' to 'slug it out'?

And given that it has been just announced that no approval will now be required for any 'variant' vaccine, it will be big pharma making a killing!

In contrast, the UK has the third highest death rate in the world and the fourth highest obesity rate, at 184 deaths per 100,000
How do the individual nations of the UK fare?, Scotland,Wales and Northern Ireland have a combined population which is less than London, so I've been trying to find figures for deaths per 100 000 for England on its own, but can't find the figures.

What about Malta, the most obese country in Europe. They've had only 321 deaths out of a population of ~500,000

Malta - Mortality rate per 100,000 ~64
UK - mortality rate per 100,000 ~ 200

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they just register people who died of covid as people who died of covid .

Well, there quite probably is an issue with comparing data between countries, in much the same way it's not really possible to compare overall crime rates between countries

Sponsored Links
Back