Coving and a uneven ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So - I have about 31 meters of coving to install, most of it is in fairly small sections - 3 meters here, .5 meters there.

But two walls, one 5 and another 7 meters long have a bit of a dip in the ceiling.

Whats the best plan of action here, any advice would be appreciated?!

Sponsored Links
Usually you will have to cut the length of coving into two or three sections, and cove round the dip.

Often looks terrible, mind.

How big is the dip, if its not to large it will not be all that noticeable when the coving is fixed and grouted up.

It depends how much of a dip there is as to how difficult, and unsightly, it will be. Try striking a level line along the wall where the bottom edge of the coving will be so you can measure the difference between high and low spots.

Anything up to 10mm difference, over the span of one 3m length of coving, can be filled without really being noticeable. Although solid, the coving is slightly flexible and can be slightly bent to follow the ceiling, without it being too noticeable. You can temporarily hold it in place with a few nails supporting the bottom edge until the adhesive dries.

Differences above 10mm can still be addressed in the same manner, but you will have thicker adhesive/filler lines in some spots, and the coving may also look more out of level.

Sponsored Links
Agree with the above -- it's surprising how differences as much as 10-15mm can be 'blended out' with adhesive/filler over a span of coving. The front room in my house is the only room left with lath and plaster and is uneven in one corner. It's really not noticeable once filled and painted and it is quite intricate coving.

My dad has a front room with 3 curved walls. It was a much bigger job to cut 9" plaster coving in 1/2" sections and gradually work around the corners with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back