Cowboy brickies!???

That "brickwork" is in no way acceptable, and i am a bricklayer with nearly 40 years experience, the bonding of the blockwork is wrong too,letting them carry on will not end well.

oh yes - the left hand corner.

Sponsored Links
Right hand corner near fence panel,random half going towards corner.:confused:
Oh yes, in fact it looks out all across front pretty much.

beds aren’t even thickness and brick ends haven’t been buttered properly.

mind you I’m no brickie, I’m not sure I could do better - not that that is the point.

Sponsored Links
I have never laid a course of bricks in my life.
However, I think even I could do a better job than that one.

Well I have, and even my half decent attempt to do a patio support wall is better than the above. The brickwork on the building to the left was done by a proper brickie and is to a standard that should be achieved i.e. bed and perpends filled and pointed, and clean brickwork (although not great an issue if the blockwork is being rendered although have also included a photo of finished blockwork that will never be seen again)

IMG_20210731_145223351.jpg

IMGP2807.JPG

You could pay the approved inspector to carry out additional inspections over and above what's required for building control approval. That way you get involved in progress, air any concerns, and understand the issues better.

Blup

I suspect the builder does not want to pay a pro brickie so he use some numpty who has not got a clue. As Woody says at least insist its done to an acceptable standard or risk the rest of the build being rubbish. Building inspector known and arranged by builder is a red flag also.

While it is at this stage it can be knocked down and redone without too much hassle, let it go on further and its going to be harder to stomach.
Stop the builder while you can, until this gets resolved.

The public can't trust builders and now they can't trust building inspectors as they are likely friends of the builder. What hope do the public have?

Is the industry regulated in anyway at all?

It all stinks to be honest and something needs to change so members of the public don't need to post on a forum to check the work being carried out on their home.

so members of the public don't need to post on a forum to check the work being carried out on their home.
Tbh, not sure that’ll change now, it seems the way of the world.

suspect the builder does not want to pay a pro brickie so he use some numpty who has not got a clue

I actually think the builder can’t get his brickie - either he’s been let down, he forgot to book him or he owes him money……and the builder is desperate to start so he can get a deposit on the job…..or he has run out of work for his guys and is getting them to do the brickwork.

I would rather guess a skilled brickie would be cheaper than some labourers.

- But there again you could well be right- any builder with pride wouldn’t allow that.

I think the OP could do a half-day "bricklaying for beginners" course and do better

the labourers may have been using a teaspoon and their fingers to apply the mortar. They would do better with a fishslice.

Somebody should start up a "DIY" website to help homeowners to a better job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back