Cowboy brickies!???

Sponsored Links
It looks to me like the left hand side outer skin is built right on the edge of the foundation.

and why is there a gap in the foundation? - if there’s a lintel over a drain, surely that would’ve been cast in lower down.

Have a look on YouTube for some Charlie Collinson videos, gives you an idea what's involved. Shows you how he sets corners up etc.

I wouldn't be happy with that if it was my own work and I'm not a bricklayer.

Sponsored Links
Why in image number 4 have they they cut a brick at 45 degrees? (the brick sitting above the very lopsided brick).

Personally, I would not want the builders to continue. Can't you beg building control to swing by? I don't think they would be too impressed with the lack of mortar between the bricks.

And I thought that the concrete footings were supposed to be below ground level to protect them from frost?

The public can't trust builders and now they can't trust building inspectors as they are likely friends of the builder.
Eh?

For one thing, Building Control are not arbiters of quality. Their remit is to see that the building is compliant. A building can have poor looking brickwork but still comply. It would fall to say a Building Surveyor to independently assess and suggest remedy. However, even a blind man on a galloping horse can see that the brickwork is horrendous and those 'builders' should leave site immediately. If they can't see how bad it it themselves then the customer has got zero hope.

The public can't trust builders and now they can't trust building inspectors as they are likely friends of the builder. What hope do the public have?

Is the industry regulated in anyway at all?

It all stinks to be honest and something needs to change so members of the public don't need to post on a forum to check the work being carried out on their home.
You're onto something there. What's needed are standards and rules for building practices and materials. People should be appointed to visit sites and check that these standards and regulations are being applied properly.

What surprises me; a lot of builders I know of wouldn't necessarily call themselves 'bricklayers' but most of them can still lay a decent brick or block when they need to.

That really is shocking work, I would boot them off-site ASAP.

Agreed on the lawlessness of the building industry

Encouraging everyone to go to university has caused a huge shortage of good tradesman and has allowed even cowboys to have tons of work.

You're onto something there. What's needed are standards and rules for building practices and materials. People should be appointed to visit sites and check that these standards and regulations are being applied properly.

What surprises me; a lot of builders I know of wouldn't necessarily call themselves 'bricklayers' but most of them can still lay a decent brick or block when they need to.

as you say many even if they dont come from a bricklaying background, can still do a good job of laying, theres plenty of labourers that can do a bit of tidy running in.

no professional builder that does extensions for a living, would ever dream of allowing such work -and they wouldnt leave labourers to do it if they didnt have confidence in their ability.

I walk across this daily at work, taking money off people and doing a truly shocking job.

Boils my p1ss really as it paints everybody in a bad light..

Plenty of people basically don't have any integrity or even a modicum of pride in their work.

All trades suffer from cowboys..

20210730_095037.jpg
20210730_095750.jpg
20210731_152221.jpg

Eh?

For one thing, Building Control are not arbiters of quality. Their remit is to see that the building is compliant. A building can have poor looking brickwork but still comply. It would fall to say a Building Surveyor to independently assess and suggest remedy. However, even a blind man on a galloping horse can see that the brickwork is horrendous and those 'builders' should leave site immediately. If they can't see how bad it it themselves then the customer has got zero hope.

My post wasn't directly related to the work in this post but more of a general comment based on much of what I read on this forum.

I just don't understand how standards are maintained in this industry.

Does it have to be really shocking work like in this post to be flagged but anything not obvious just gets forgotten.

Most people don't know what they are looking at and aren't from a background where they can even try to check the quality of a builders work.

Question a builder halfway through a job and he'll threaten to walk off the job.

Ask too many questions and he won't want the job.

What does professional builder mean?

As with what the others have said, very shoddy work and needs to be rectified correctly immediately.
If this is what you can see can you imagine the horrors you won't see because you cannot stand over them all day watching carefully what others are doing?
I'm not in the building trade at all but have done a fair bit of DIY and I wouldn't do that standard in my own back garden for a small brick planter!
On the bottom photo there is a broken brick next to a half brick, there is very little mortar between the verticals and I don't see a string line anywhere!
Seriously, you need to tell the builder you are not happy with the standard of work and if he doesn't employ professionals that come up to standard the contract will be terminated. If you allow them to continue you are storing up trouble for yourself that will cost a hell of a lot more to try and rectify without knocking it down and starting again.
Be guided by the wise words of those on here who are in the trade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back