cowboy builders dodgy lofts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone find out if you board your loft should you board straight onto the ceiling joist , because thats what has been done at mine and now i am left with a big bill for the repair on it, i am trying to get some money back but just need advice if anyone can help would be grateful thanks :D

Sponsored Links
My understanding is it depends on why you are boarding the loft. If you are simply boarding it to make storage and maintinance easier then I believe it's ok to board onto the existing joists. However if you are converting it to a room then the joists will almost certainly need to be upgraded to floor standards.

it was made into a room we have been using it as a room, our builder put in the window andboard the ceiling in the loft,but now we have had to have it redone because it was reinforsed and caused damage to bedroom ceiling,but not the same builder and he is refusing to pay up and left us with the bill :mad:

Sponsored Links
What did Building Control say when they came to inspect the works?

It would be useful if you post some photos of the works in question.

When you say "we have been using it as a room", do you mean it is accessible by a permanent staircase and is used regularly? Or do you pull the ladder down and go up there to do a bit of occasional tinkering to a model railway or similar?

Do you use it for storage?

when the property was built the joist in the loft was not designed to carry weight, hence only 3x2 or 4x2, most loft conversions have a new floor construction ie 7x2 7x3 depending on the span, these would run side by side of the existing 3x2 or 4x2.

has the work been carried out with building regs if so some one is not doing their job correct.

Your ceiling joist need to be 7"x 3" to support a floor that a maximum of 13 feet. Go for 8" x 3" and you can put floor boards on top at 90 degree to the direction of the floor joist. This will be enough to support a bedroom.

You can put boards on existing joist ,but would not be strong enough to support any weight other than light weight for crawling along on ones belly to inspect the roof space.

If you wish to use the roof space as a loft you will need to install 7" x 3" joist running in parrallel with existing joist if you dont want to remove and replace existing joist.

Another way is to put a beam under the existing joist to support it like a lintel but this would lower the ceiling hight underneath.
Dont forget to form a triangle where the roof meets the wall to stop the roof from splaying (ie pushing the walls out)

Hi can anyone find out if you board your loft should you board straight onto the ceiling joist , because thats what has been done at mine and now i am left with a big bill for the repair on it, i am trying to get some money back but just need advice if anyone can help would be grateful thanks :D

Where else would you put them? :eek:

easist eule of thumb for joist sizing is times the size of the joist by 2 and minus 1. This will give you the span in ft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back