Cowboy fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had pvc windows fitted this year and found that we could feel and hear wind/noise coming in from the upstairs bedroom one. The window is three flat panels. One panel is fixed in the middle and the two - one either side of the fixed one, open sideways one left one right. On closer inspection we could see that when the openers are closed shut, the seal is snug at the top and bottom of the hinged side where it touches the frame. but the middle part has a gap which we can slide a 1pence piece in. We've also noticed that on this window and all the others that were fitted, we can with very little force, push the opener on the hinged side, away from the frame to let in the air from outside.
We have had the fitter back who said that they are rather big sashes and he blamed the window company from where he got them from saying they had left something out in the maufacturing. He has now put some white plastic things in a bit like a wedge-one on the opener and one on the frame so that when we close the window they sort of grip each other making it hard to push the frame out.
Although I think he has made these things up, it hasnt solved the problem of the air coming in in the bedroom window. Can someone advise me on what to do next please. :(

Sponsored Links
Open the windows and see if there is any play on the hinge,(it should move easily) if not see if the lock keeps line up with the pins on the window, sounds like they are not engageing properly.

The hinges are fine.

It's on the opener hinged side. Top meets seal bottome meets seal but middle has a gap.

It is as if the opener itself is slightly bowed.

Bev :(

Sponsored Links
Just an update.

Been talking to the fitter (cowboy) lol this morning and he said the sashes are too big - which he didnt tell me in the begining. He is going to get me new sashes with metal in, made for all the windows.

I hope this corrects the problem.

Bev :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back