cowboy left us with cold shower!

Sponsored Links
It's because everything worked fine until he turned it off to do the work required after the flooding. He then did the bathroom before we moved back in. We had leaks on the toilet waste pipe & bath water pipe, plus he made the shower leak when he came back to fit the coil. This ended in half the tiles off the wall, a stain on the kitchen ceiling, turning the chrome fittings to copper somehow plus a squeeky boiler and a cold shower! I'm pleased he's retired to Spain because I wouldn't let him 'put it right' anyway!

I think we're overlapping here, sorry. :)

I've had a look but can't see a model no. It's an Ideal Standard combi. Fitted about 4 yrs ago.

Sponsored Links
I can't really tell I'm afraid. It happens when I turn the thermostat up and sounds like an old bicycle wheel that needs oiling! It squeeks every couple of seconds. There's a sticker on the boiler saying it's been fitted with Sentinel x100 and not to drain the system (which I'm fairly sure the builder did anyway because he removed radiators). He grumbled all the time about 'modern' fittings and how fiddly they are!

sentinel x100 is a inhibitor. which if he drained off should of replaced.

should never let builders loose on plumbing and heating system
they never seem to go together.

best you get your other plumber to look at your shower/boiler.

your shower i would say is down to uneven pressures.
your boilers poss a squeeky fan.

Thats great, thank you. It's always good to have a little knowledge of the possible problem when you call someone in. We don't believe in meddling with plumbing & electrics - they're best left to the experts. It's just difficult to find someone who's trustworthy. I've even had a decorator & builder in on recommendation but they turned out to be not so good (maybe we expect too much?) I usually do the DIY in our house (I learned from my dad - a time served joiner). Hubby does help but only to follow my instructions! This site is great for filling in the gaps in our knowledge.

I think it was around £200 new, last summer. It's pretty decent. Obviously it was only chrome plated as the builder either scratched it off or put something on it to turn it copper but it's quite heavy.

it looks like the swirl model.
mind you it does have a bad reveiw.

This shower seemed good value but is of poor quality. The control knobs are really weak & one has sheered off after 6months. The diverter valve sticks and passes water so both the fixed head and the loose shower hose pass water at the same time. The chrome effect on top of the fixed head is coming off after 12 months. Also the thermostat is starting to perform poorly after 12 months."

I've just looked in the catalogue and they don't seem to sell it anymore but they have similar ones without the back jets.

What make and maodel are the boiler??
Thermostatic showers are never the greatest thing to run off a combi ( I personally would always advise against it ) unless the boiler is a decent size.
Where in yorkshire are you??

Yeah, youre right, it is item89618 - the Swirl one. All I know is it's an Ideal Standard combi, fairly new. I would have to search for the instructions to find the model. We're in Hull.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back