Crack appeared in ceiling artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its on the bathroom ceiling and about 5 feet long.How can I repair this,short of re artexing the whole ceiling.
Thanks
deac

Sponsored Links
You could try some flexible filler but it’s unlikey it will last without stripping it off & re-enforcing. A crack that size is almost certainly along the line where the plasterboard panels join & either no joint tape was used or there has been significant enough movement to open the joint up. Do you use or store things in the loft; moving around up there can sometimes be enough to open up cracks in the ceiling.

Im in a lower cottage flat,and this line keeps coming back no matter what I do to repair it :mad:

Have you tried brushing caulk into it?

Sponsored Links
Im in a lower cottage flat,and this line keeps coming back no matter what I do to repair it :mad:
Ahhh then; it could be a matter of no jointing tape as I said earlier but I suspect you have a problem with excessive flexing in the 1st floor joists. Problem is (if it’s original) the 1st floor of a cottage would never have been designed to take the weight of all the additional furniture etc. full blown living accommodation upstairs inevitably means; this can be a big problem on many house to flat conversions.

Assuming your upstairs neighbour isn’t a dancer, doesn’t hold regular parties or jump up & down on the floor, there is probably nothing you can do short of ripping up the floor & putting in additional or new & larger joists to take the extra weight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back