crack appearing in gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could a reason for this vertical crack appearing be linked to a double floor extension and a floor built above garage,just completed, on neighbouring property approx 2/3metres away from said wall.It is travelling through brick and not just the pointing.Been in house 10 months and was given clean bill of health on homebuyer report.House is approx 33 years old.....Or could it be just coincidence...Any help advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Crack is about 2mm and goes from corner of window upstairs and has reached window level on ground floor.It has only recently appeared roughly,same time as adjacent double storey rear extension and also single storey above garage ...Along with upstairs doors closing on their own and hairline cracks around ceiling and walls ...crack has also travelled through brick and not just pointing.Has followed line of the bond.

Can a recently built extension (2 storey) in close proximity to my property be a cause of foundation failure,as on completion of the neighbouring extension my house has developed an external crack.

Again,not funny..Surely it is either a case of yes,no or possibly.

Can a recently built extension (2 storey) in close proximity to my property be a cause of foundation failure,as on completion of the neighbouring extension my house has developed an external crack.

Again,not funny..Surely it is either a case of yes,no or possibly.

Your problems are more likely to be seasonal i.e. low Winter temp's rather than 'ground failure'.

The push from the structure will spread out at 45 degrees from the bottom of the foundation but this is likely to be minimal in a domestic situation.

Differences in soil water content and seasonal temperature variations have a far more devastating effect than a neighbouring extension.

Probably....:cool:

Could a reason for this vertical crack

What vertical crack? :confused:

What I meant was, your post is written like it includes a picture but there is not one.

From you description, this is more likely thermal movement and not "foundation failure".

That does not say that adjacent work may not have caused or contributed to some ground movement, but if it has, then the cracking would be different - and you will have a hard time proving it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back