1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Crack Head

Discussion in 'Building' started by Krangers, 1 Jan 2016.

1. Krangers

Krangers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    IMAG1484.jpg IMAG1480.jpg IMAG1481.jpg IMAG1482.jpg

Hey Guys! This is my first post, sorry I feel a bit dirty just busting in and asking for help but I know you're good people so...

Just moved into my new house constructed in 1994. I have only just noticed a floor to ceiling vertical crack in the inner block skin wall of the integral garage. As you can see from the pics it starts above the lower brick course which I assume is the dpc. The crack goes up to some kind of bulkhead which I guess contains services.

There is no damage to the external bricks. Looking at the elevation also attached is the gable end wall to the projection on the left hand side. The bathroom above the garage doesn't show any signs of cracks but has been updated recently so could be underneath. I have been in the loft here and no cracks above ceiling.

The crack follows the mortar line or goes through the centre of the blocks which worries me.

So my question is do I need to worry? Could it be subsidence, shrinkage, settlement or strain from a point load such as the steel picking up the trusses through the dropped eaves area.

Thanks for reading if you made it all the way!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's a shrinkage crack, and nothing to be worried about

4. Krangers

Krangers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Woody I thought it might be from the research I have done. Hopefully I can be of use if any roof truss related queries pop up .

5. cjard

cjard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't worry about a crack until you can get your hand in it!

6. Krangers

Krangers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sound advice, give that man a pie

7. tony1851

tony1851

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unless it's wider at the top than the bottom (or vice versa)!;)

8. cjard

cjard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't worry about a crack until you can get your hand in either the top or the bottom of it!

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links