Crack in bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im so pleased to have found DIYnot and get a bit of help.This is my first post but I have a feeling it definatly wont be the last, as our ancient house is nicknamed the moneypit and my husband comes out in a rash at the mere mention of DIY so most stuff is left up to me and anything that may involve the husband getting the wallet out has a habit of not getting done at all!. Well thats my introduction and this is my problem. We have recently had the front of our single bay house painted and a crack which has always been in the bay was filled and painted over. I noticed the other day that the crack has reappeared quite badly, its the same as before if not worse (or maybe it just looks worse now the painting looks much better) The crack goes right around the bay and underneath and one side of the crack is raised more than the other side. It has been there all the time we have been here (15 years) and filled a few times. Im worried its something serious as last year we had to pay out to have our fire wall in the loft re built as there was a developing crack from the bottom of our house in the hallway right up to the roof and one day we noticed the firewall bricks on top of the house were starting to slip forward and could of dangerously fallen into the street, so we went half with our neighbour to have it built up again, Anyway thats another story. The house was built 1903 and I dont know if it has any bearing on it but this area was badly bombed in the war. Theres no evidence of subsidence in the area. The house is a single bay and forecourt
View media item 29084jpg[/net] View media item 29088 View media item 29089 [/img]

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any idea how serious it is? Im debating whether to get a builder in to look at it. Last thing i want is the bay to collapse :cry:

Hard to tell as cant see behind the render.. it could just be blown render due to winter weather/frost etc.. if its in the brick/blockwork behind then its more serious..

Check other similar properties in your street for the same issue.

It seems that the crack has developed (for one reason or another) and repairs have been inadequate leading to the blowing of the fresh paint/render or whatever it is

That crack is always going to be a weak point, and that bay is always going to have some seasonal movement

As the crack has been there so long, and as the bay has not gone significantly out of alignment, then it's most likely that progressive movement is not occurring.

I would scrape off the paint, and then gouge the crack a little and then fill with a flexible acrylic or polysulphide mastic, trowel it flush and then paint over it. Don't use silicone

Sponsored Links
When the house was built they generally did not put foundations under bays so they can move.

It has stood for over 100 years so is unlikely to be serious unless there are trees growing around it.

Thanks for the replies, the crack is quite deep but it has been there a while, although it was filled when the decorator painted the house 4 months ago Im just worried that the crack has reappeared so quickly after being filled. Im just going to keep an eye on it and see if it gets any wider. Just another problem to sort out in the new year...... :rolleyes:

If you leave this crack open, then water will get in , freeze and expand the crack even more

Even if you want to keep an eye on it, you should fill it with something to keep the rain out. Try clear silicone and then you can still see it, and when you come to do a proper repair, scrape all the silicone out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back