Crack in brick below dpc (1)

Discussion in 'Building' started by Willy87, 26 Oct 2021.

1. Willy87

Willy87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good evening I’ve just purchased a 1970s ex council house and have taken the concrete footpath up at side of property and noticed a crack through a couple of bricks below dpc. Wondering on best cause of action to take. Looking like it may of being like this for some time but being hidden by the concrete path. DPC is where the mortar is missing thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Willy87

Willy87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hopefully I’ve posted in right place I’m new to this all advice will be massively appreciated thanks

4. Willy87

Willy87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good afternoon I’ve just purchased a 1970s ex council house and have taken the concrete footpath up at side of property and noticed a crack through a couple of bricks below dpc. Wondering on best cause of action to take. Looking like it may of being like this for some time but being hidden by the concrete path. DPC is where the mortar is missing thanks

Attached Files:

5. tell80

tell80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    excess water could have washed suport for that corner away and the bricks have dropped a little?
    Is there a gulley around the corner - was there a gulley or drain near the corner?
    from pic it looks like a cavity wall, is there any signs of damp inside the house?
    A brickie could safely remove and rebuild the corner, its a point load, and make good any DPC break - and look into the cavity to make sure cavity rubble is not bridging the DPC's.

youd be better off lowering the path and doing new pointing.

6. Willy87

Willy87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi thanks for that no gully or drain anywhere near the corner when it was all concrete and prolonged downpour the water sat on that corner I’m wondering if it’s got in where mortar is missing over the years and then froze and cracked the brickwork. I’ll attach a photo so you can see what I mean and like a say water was pooling on concrete in that corner. No cracks higher than dpc and no problem with internal dampness thanks

Attached Files:

7. tell80

tell80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the corner needs digging out and rebuilding

8. Sponsored Links
  9. Willy87

Willy87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’ve dug down all seems fine except these few cracked bricks which I’m unsure of the cause. Would it be possible to just replace the bricks? Funny how
    Taking a little bit concrete out can Chuck up a hidden problem which has possibly been like this years

10. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It looks like it's been smacked with something rather than structural movement.

Gob it up with mortar or silicone if it won't be seen, point it up if it will.

11. Willy87

Willy87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for that so do you think will be ok with out a structural engineer visit or a call to insurance thanks

12. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lol. Definitely.

13. Willy87

Willy87

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry if that seems crazy just the panic we got when seen the cracks and reading articles on google etc sends a few shockwaves through you