Crack in brick below dpc (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening I’ve just purchased a 1970s ex council house and have taken the concrete footpath up at side of property and noticed a crack through a couple of bricks below dpc. Wondering on best cause of action to take. Looking like it may of being like this for some time but being hidden by the concrete path. DPC is where the mortar is missing thanks

Attachments

• 9ED93560-C57A-49B9-8364-6BC0045E78BF.png
    9ED93560-C57A-49B9-8364-6BC0045E78BF.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
Hopefully I’ve posted in right place I’m new to this all advice will be massively appreciated thanks

Good afternoon I’ve just purchased a 1970s ex council house and have taken the concrete footpath up at side of property and noticed a crack through a couple of bricks below dpc. Wondering on best cause of action to take. Looking like it may of being like this for some time but being hidden by the concrete path. DPC is where the mortar is missing thanks

Attachments

• EDF815DD-1FDE-4B51-8AD7-7B0805FBAD2B.png
    EDF815DD-1FDE-4B51-8AD7-7B0805FBAD2B.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 102
excess water could have washed suport for that corner away and the bricks have dropped a little?
Is there a gulley around the corner - was there a gulley or drain near the corner?
from pic it looks like a cavity wall, is there any signs of damp inside the house?
A brickie could safely remove and rebuild the corner, its a point load, and make good any DPC break - and look into the cavity to make sure cavity rubble is not bridging the DPC's.

youd be better off lowering the path and doing new pointing.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for that no gully or drain anywhere near the corner when it was all concrete and prolonged downpour the water sat on that corner I’m wondering if it’s got in where mortar is missing over the years and then froze and cracked the brickwork. I’ll attach a photo so you can see what I mean and like a say water was pooling on concrete in that corner. No cracks higher than dpc and no problem with internal dampness thanks

Attachments

• C5B6EBD5-C381-4261-85C9-C520F2D24E91.png
    C5B6EBD5-C381-4261-85C9-C520F2D24E91.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 122
I’ve dug down all seems fine except these few cracked bricks which I’m unsure of the cause. Would it be possible to just replace the bricks? Funny how
Taking a little bit concrete out can Chuck up a hidden problem which has possibly been like this years

It looks like it's been smacked with something rather than structural movement.

Gob it up with mortar or silicone if it won't be seen, point it up if it will.

Thanks for that so do you think will be ok with out a structural engineer visit or a call to insurance thanks

Sorry if that seems crazy just the panic we got when seen the cracks and reading articles on google etc sends a few shockwaves through you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back