Crack in walls all round porch window / front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, clueless first time poster here!
Noticed last week or so that plastic round front door wobbles slightly when I close door.
See pics for cracks around it plus around porch window next to it.
What (cheap!) stop-gap solution (scroll down)
DSC_0151.JPG
DSC_0150.JPG
would you recommend?
I know the whole lot needs replacing really, but I don't have much money atm.
Is there some sort of filler / sealant you'd recommend?
Thanks in advance for helpful advice
PS Gets very warm in entrance porch, variation in temperature may be a cause?
DSC_0154.JPG
DSC_0153.JPG
DSC_0152.JPG

Sponsored Links
Probably just the jolt of the door closing that's causing some shake there, so for now consider using some white silicone frame sealant where the cracks are.....this stuff has enough elasticity to absorb some movement. Scrape the loose paint or whatever away before applying it.
Cow Dorning is one of the best makes.
John :)

Decorators caulk (not Polyfilla) has a slight degree of elasticity too.....dead easy to apply and smooth with a wet sponge!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Noticed last week or so that plastic round front door wobbles slightly when I close door.

The fitters usually glue a plastic bead or quadrant round the frame to hide the gap where it doesn't fit the brickwork.

If you prise off this strip, you will see the gap.

You can inject expanding plastic foam through a small nozzle, it will expand to fill the gap, set fairly rigid, and because it is very sticky before setting, will hold the frame firmly to the wall and prevent rattles, noise or draughts.

it is actually used to secure doorframes (without screws) in some countries and forms a strong bond.

Because it is so sticky, protect the wall and floor all round and below with newspaper or clinglilm, tightly taped into place.

Clean the dust and dirt away with a garden spayer and a little Washing Up liquid. It's OK to leave the bricks damp, this improves setting of the foam.

If you inject from the inside it will expand to the outside, so cover that in the same way, preferably removing the trim first. Inject a little at a time, starting at the bottom and doing each side in turn, you will learn how much it takes to do each six inches or so.

This may help you. There's similar videos about foaming and filling on the same channel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back