crack through bricks under window - cause? underpinning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to get an idea of whether this crack might need underpinning and if so what are the likely cost implications ball park figure.

Please see attached photo of crack running vertically through bricks under window sill on ground floor. The crack is about 5-8mm wide at the top and tapers to nothing at the bottom about 9 bricks down.
The crack is old and there is no new movement in it. there is also a hairline crack in the sill above it which is either made of stone or concrete.

From my brief research on the internet it appears that cracks that go directly through bricks are usually caused by sudden movement.

There are no large trees in the vicinity and I believe the area is a gravel subsoil on a clay base.
Anyway, I am thinking of buying this house as project but am worried that the crack is the sign of serious problems. I know I should get a structural survey, but at this stage just wondering if it is worth it regarding how much it would cost to rectify 'v' the cost of the house.
Any advice or ideas gratefully received. thanks.

Sponsored Links
From the infomation provided I would not be especially concerned, I seriously doubt that structural rectification will be necessary, so if you are thinking about buying, get a survey done. A recent crack of that nature would certainly be an issue, but then I would expect to see similar movement in the stone cill as well. You will probably find any movement in the cill has been repaired, you should ask when the repair was done.

The point about getting a survey done is that an engineer may spot other things you have not, and it is better to rely on the expert eye giving it the once over.

PS if you edit your post, use the link "show my images" then select (double click) and insert the photo, it saves having to go to your album to see!

Blagard";p="2669848 said:
From the infomation provided I would not be especially concerned, I seriously doubt that structural rectification will be necessary, so if you are thinking about buying, get a survey done. A recent crack of that nature would certainly be an issue, but then I would expect to see similar movement in the stone cill as well. You will probably find any movement in the cill has been repaired, you should ask when the repair was done.

The point about getting a survey done is that an engineer may spot other things you have not, and it is better to rely on the expert eye giving it the once over.

Thanks for your thoughts and the tip about photos ;), kind of affirmed what I thought, I would get a structural survey done if I was just going to be putting a straight offer on the house, but it has an 'open day' and sealed bids so there is a good chance I wouldn't win and lose the £1k it cost for s survey, as I think there will be developers crawling all over it. THe open day is in 10 days time so I will give everything a real close inspection.
The sill just had a hairline crack that didn't look as though it had been repaired but will double check when viewing on the day. I suspect that maybe a drain had leaked washing aways some of the subsoil causing the ground level to drop quickly and crack to happen in a dramatic way right through the bricks rather than a zig zag going through the mortar. I think there is a drain that runs along the front of the house as there is a downstairs toilet next to the front door that was not part of the original house. Again I'm no expert, just guess work really.
The drain could be another problem but the ground infront of the house in the form of block paving seems nice and flat and that would have been added later than the crack. all a bit of a gamble but if I allow 20k to put things right worst case scenario I am hoping that would cover it.

Remember you don't have to ask for a full structural survey. You could ask for a report just on the items that concern you. - Not ideal but better than nothing.

The stone cill "repair" I mentioned could be at the end of the cill where a joint may have opened up. Look there if not at where the hairline crack is.

Sponsored Links
good idea, i might enquire about how much it would cost to at least check out the crack. thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back