Crack where lathe plaster joins brick

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started decorating my ding room and I have a big crack running from the corner of the door straight up to the ceiling.

I knocked a small hole to see what the cause is. To the left of the crack is a brick wall, to the right (above the door) is lathe and plaster.

What's the best way to fix the crack to stop it showing through when I wallpaper? I'm planning to get the walls reskimmed if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
You also have a hairline crack in the ceiling. But cracks such as these are par for the course in what looks to be an old property.
Different materials meeting above an opening would be susceptible to minor house movement or thermal movement over the years.
Let the plasterer take care of it.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Definitely right on the old house. I had to take a section of that wall back to brick to put in some crack stitch bars and wanted to check that there wasn't any major surgery required here before the plasterer comes.

Lots of cracks in the ceiling. It's built with a really old horsehair plasterboard. The boards themselves are fine but over time the nails have started pulling out. I'll go round and screw them all back up before the plasterer comes (had to do this in the living room and it's fine 2 years later).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back