Cracked curved ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I just moved into my new home and I'm trying to get the main bedroom a little bit nicer before my fiancee moves in after we marry in March :)

I was planning just to repaint, but then I got a bit carried away because of the cracks on the curves where the ceiling meets the wall. Half the room has coving; however, there are a couple of walls where the ceiling just seems to curve down to the wall. This is where there was cracking, and when I took the layer of paint off the ceiling (not sure what it was, since it pealed away quite easily with a wallpaper remover without even using any steam), I realised there was very bad cracking and it's rather crumbly.

Even worse, there's one corner where I managed to pierce through the plaster coving into open space.

I was planning to do the following:

1) Climb into the loft and attempt to fill the whole I oh-so-skillfully created in my zealous wall-paper removal.

2) Buy some type of flexible polyfilla and go over the cracks

3) Repaint the ceiling with some type of ceiling paint (do I need anything special?)

I would love to have coving on the curved bit of ceiling just like the rest of the room; however, I guess there is some good reason why the ceiling is curved?

Please advise - and appreciate that I have not a lot of experience at DIY. I need to got this sorted in the next month or else I'll have a very disappointed wife!

Here's a photo:

//www.diynot.com/network/Deornoth/albums/19280

Kind Regards,

James

Sponsored Links
Congrats on pending nuptials ! I watching the 2nd season of auf wiedersehen pet at the moment so perhaps this forum can be your magnificent 7 lol.

Hard to tell from the picture but filling the hole with filler might be tricky if you have nothing behind it to fill onto. Much as I hate the stuff, a squirt of expanding foam may fill the void and give you a base to fill and then sand flush before painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back