curved ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quicky :D

i am plastering a bathroom the weekend which is no problem BUT.

they have a ceiling that curves into the wall at one end, i have never skimmed a curve before so am a little apprehensive about this. any tips?

will the trowl just follow the curve no problem or is there a certain technique to use.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
When plastering a raked ceiling you would normally curve or 'roll' the top join but not the bottom join.

The top join is where the ceiling meets the slope or rake.

The bottom join is where the wall meets the slope/rake.

The reason you would roll the top and not the bottom is because the rake is a continuation of the ceiling and not a continuation of the wall. Therefore you need a defining break (for painting purposes) between the wall and the rake.

We usually trowel in a bit of bonding into the join before skimming as it helps with the roll.

When plastering a raked ceiling you would normally curve or 'roll' the top join but not the bottom join.

The top join is where the ceiling meets the slope or rake.

The bottom join is where the wall meets the slope/rake.

The reason you would roll the top and not the bottom is because the rake is a continuation of the ceiling and not a continuation of the wall. Therefore you need a defining break (for painting purposes) between the wall and the rake.

We usually trowel in a bit of bonding into the join before skimming as it helps with the roll.
i think the curves already there noseall, but your info will come in handy if he ever got to do one from scratch

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back