Plastering a small curve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any tips on plastering a small curve?

Let me explain - we're in the middle of converting our loft. The walls consist of verticles, pitches and the flat bit at the top (just like a standard room in roof truss)

When I finally get around to plastering, I'd like to get a gradual curve between the pitches and the angled pieces of plasterboard (I think this'll look better and will hide the fact that the line varies a bit due to rafters that aren't straight).

Any advice on how to this? Should I plaster the verticle bit followed by the pitched bit and put the curve in later? Or should I try and do it all at once? Does anyone know of a curved trowle that will help get my curve constant?

Any advice would be appreciated...
Cheers

Sponsored Links
One way will be to score a series of parallel lines on the reverse of the plasterboard about 30-50mm apart. When you pushe the board up, these will snap and help create a reasonably smooth and consistent curve. If you can fit an additional noggin at about half the angle between the horizontal and slope of the ceiling, to screw into, then all the better.

Add a few strips of jointing mesh for additional strength.

Works for me, anyway.

Thanks for a quick response guys. I think I'll have to head down the Bonding route as the plasterboarding is mostly done now.

One last quickie - when plastering a normal room downstairs say, the horizontal ceilings and vertical walls give you a place to stop and start sections of skim. In my loft, however, the curve will mean one section leads onto another- creating one massive section to plaster. Should I just use some beading to stop/start sections or is there a craftier way of getting around this?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Should I just use some beading to stop/start sections or is there a craftier way of getting around this?
You can use a stop bead to divide it up but fix the bead so you plaster up to the outside edge not over the mesh as normal; take it down just as the plaster sets, then plaster up to this line when you skim the other section. If you bury the bead in the plaster you will see it & it will crack. Fix the bead onto the flat section of the wall not on the curve; done properly, you will need very little if any filler. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back