Cracked plastic repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
After a contretemps with a lorry last week, I came away with two hairline cracks along my wheel arch.

This is a 2004 citroen and the wings are plastic. I'd like to make neat cosmetic repair but not sure how to fix the cracks. Wonder if there's a strong tape I could put behind it or some kind of filling - wouldn't need much, the cracks are maybe a mm wide at most and about 5cm long, radiating from the edge of the arch vertically upwards. Don't really want to buy a big tub of bondo, or whatever the equivalent is.

What's my best plan?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Go for an elastic type bodyfiller, and spread a thin layer of filler behind the cracks. Let it dry then spread an even thinner layer over the cracks on the outside. With patient rubbing down, then priming then painting, you'll never know.
I believe the Isopon people do a filler especially for this, but I'd have to check.
John :)

Thanks. I expect I'll have to buy about half a kilo of the stuff just to use a pea sized amount for the cracks! Still, a better price than a new wing!

Bonus question - when I'm painting it, do you happen to know how to get silver paint to look 'proper' and blend in with the surround?

Thanks

If you intend to use the jolly old aerosol then don't expect particularly good results unless you can spray to an edge or seam....as for feathering it in, I think you'll be disappointed.
Why not visit a bodyshop, say its not an insurance job and offer to pay cash? The figure may not be too bad and after all its a 2004 car so has value.
John :)

Sponsored Links
John, I think its Isopon P38 chopped fiberglass stuff.

Not the easiest to use so practice a bit, or as John said pay cash.

Blowing in paint in my opinion is an art form, not like tightening a bolt.

PS
I was watching LAink on the TV the other night. They tattoo and air brush freehand. Truly gifted people.

Back