Cracked Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently found out that our shower tray has cracked and is leaking water onto the chipboard below.

I'm not sure how long the crack has been present for and so unsure how much water damage has been done to the chipbard.

Two questions -
a) is it possible to repair the shower tray using sealants ?
and b) do I need to replace the chipboard underneath the shower tray or is there something else I could try to prevent rot ?

Many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
You could do a bodge repair with silicone sealant when its bone dry and replace it every few weeks.

The chipboard will probably recover when it dries out.

The best solution is to replace chipboard and shower tray properly. Since that might be about £150-£250 it doesn't sound very expensive compared with a service on your BMW.

Tony

Tony

Cheers for the advice - we were going to go for the full works but I wondered if there was an interim solution I could go for .... alas not really. And as for cars I've just had the head gasket go on my hunk of junk Daewoo so this will have to wait for a bit.

Cheers

Paul

Don't worry too much about the board, it will dry out.

Why not do it yourself and take the opportunity to replace those mildewed old tiles with Mermaid shower boards? We have just done ours and it looks fantastic. It really wasn't difficult, the boards come with a full kit of all sealant, beads etc and we bought a shower tray with an upstand to make absolutely sure of no leaks though the Mermaid system is so good this wasn't really necessary. The shower cabinet was easy to assemble, you only need basic DIY skills.

You may need to rob a bank though for the lolly.

Sponsored Links
The Daewoo are generally considered to be very reliable mechanically so you must have been very unlucky.

A local motor garage with the only mechanics I could trust to work on my Metro cars changed over from BL to Daewoo and the Service Manager told me that the Daewoo were way more reliable than the BL Metros.

Try the silicone as a tempory but it MUST be bone dry. A hair dryer may help!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back