Crackle when light turns on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was up in the loft in my bungalow, taking out a wiring for a PIR sensor for the new lights I have install outside. Although, came across a different problem and slightly stumped by it.

When I finished this job, the kitchen light that is a fluorescent circle light occasionally crackles when it is turned on from the fuse box in the airing cupboard. I have checked the switch in the kitchen and it looks fines with the wires (although no earth in wire, old property that I am now living in) and in the loft all the wiring have good connections with the contact points.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this problem?

Sponsored Links
Where does the crackling come from, the fuse box ?
It may be a loose/bad connection in there. Have you been in there ?
I hope you have not fitted any metallic, Class 1 fittings outside if there is no cpc in your lighting circuits :?:

The fusebox, no I haven't looked inside it as of yet.

The lighting circuit for the outside lights is earthed, the only part of the wiring set that isn't earthed is the switch for the kitchen light.

Most fusebox switches will crackle when you turn them on under load.

And often light switches will, especially controlling fluorescent fittings.

You could try changing the switch if it is old or worn.

But you must consider rewiring those parts of the circuit that do not have an earth wire, especially if there are Class I light fittings in the building.

Sponsored Links
Check the fuse box, switch plate, light fitting and any other connected junctions for loose connections, also check fuse is firmly within holder.
There should be no metallic fittings on unearthed lighting circuits, this includes the switch plate. If MCB check that this is also tightened on to busbar. .
(unless they are marked as double insulated/class 2)
Make sure you isolate those parts of the installations being checked prior to removing covers and then prove the circuit is dead, using an approved voltage tester before you check the internals.

Sorry, PBOD, I've rearranged what you wrote, 'cos it wos a bit confusing!

As Eric said, "I've got all the right notes (words), but not necessarily in the right order..." ;)

Check the fuse box, switch plate, light fitting and any other connected junctions for loose connections, also check fuse is firmly within holder.

If MCB check that this is also tightened on to busbar.
Make sure you isolate those parts of the installations being checked prior to removing covers and then prove the circuit is dead, using an approved voltage tester before you check the internals.

There should be no metallic fittings on unearthed lighting circuits, this includes the switch plate. (unless they are marked as double insulated/class 2)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back