Light Switch help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a light switch (with 2 switches) in our kitchen/diner which controls 2 lights (one normal ceiling rose and one ceiling light with 3 spots), the light switch buzzes/crackles when we turn the diner light (normal ceiling rose) on but is fine with the 3 spots.

Does it look like it is wired up correctly?

I can't see anything obvious wrong with the cables or the switch it self?

It was put in not so long ago by our electrician.

1322984722_ccf8593aa4_o.jpg

Cheers

L.[/img]

Sponsored Links
It looks ok to me.

Have you checked all the connections are good and tight?

What brand is the switch?

Where abouts on the switch do you see the flash?

It might be a case of a cheap switch.

How long ago was this fitted, as the wiring colours are of the old type (red, yellow, blue as opposed to brown, black, grey)

The yellow and blue should have been sleeved red to indicate that they are phases.

I'll check the make of the switch tomorrow.

The noise only seems to happen everything is put back together. I've not seen a flash when I've had the cover off or on.

The light switch was moved a few months back, I'm not sure if the electrician used the cable that was there or replaced it.

Thanks

L.

I forgot to say all the connections in the switch are tight, I shall check the connections in the ceiling rose tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
That could explain the old colours if it was only moved.

He still should have used red sleeving though on the yellow and blue.

madasabadger said:
The light switch was moved a few months back, I'm not sure if the electrician used the cable that was there or replaced it.

Would the move have required a longer cable ? and if so has he made a join where the old switch was and could therr be a loose connection there.

bernardgreen said:
madasabadger said:

Would the move have required a longer cable ? and if so has he made a join where the old switch was and could therr be a loose connection there.

Good thinking Inspector Green.

bernardgreen said:

It was only moved round a corner probably less than 10cm so the old cable might have done the job. I'll try replacing the switch and see if that works otherwise it will mean taking up carpet & floorboards.

I will put red/brown sheathing on the other cables (not sure why the electrician didn't do it).

I have asked the question on another forum and some one suggested that some of the plaster (from the new plastering we've had done) might have got into the box and made everything damp/shorted it. I think this is the most likely explanation as I did have to chip some dried plaster out of the box.

Thanks for your help

L.

Hi

Just put a new switch on and thus far it works fine.

Should I put red or brown tape/sheathing on the cables?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

L.

Use red sleeving if you can find it just to match the existing install. If not you should fit a label at the CU stating that there are wiring colours to two versions of BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back