Cracks and Painting plaster skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've finished plasting a room with Multi-finish and as it's dried out a few hairline cracks have started to appear. (It's an old 1920's house with Brick/Breeze walls).

Will paint cover the cracks or is there something else I should do first? Also should I use PVA prior to painting to stop the walls sucking in all the paint? I've recently heard a story from someone saying new paint sometimes struggles to stick to PVA'ed walls???

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Wrighty,

Did you VA the walls before skimming them? If not, the chances are your skim dried out to quickly which has caused the cracking. The other possibility is that the backing isn't sound and slight movement has caused the cracking.

Try filling with a fine surface filler, joint compound is perfect for the job, and sanding lightly.

DO NOT PVA before painting - your paint will not stick. Instead, water a standard matt emulsion down (60% paint 40% water) and use that as a first coat.

Regards

Fred

Thanks for your advise - I will do that.

FYI I did PVA the walls before skimming but I did do patch repairs knocking out any blown areas and filling with bonding so I guess that's what caused the cracks.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back