Cracks appeared in plaster! Floor sagging?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My house is a 30 year old Wimpey no fines semi detached home.
Recently I have noticed a plaster crack has appeared along the edge of the stairway string, pretty much the full length of the string. Cracks have also appeared in the landing walls, where the stud walls meet the ceiling, and in the grout where the stairway header boxing tiling meets the floor tiling in the bathroom.It looks like the ceiling has separated from the walls by 1.5mm to 2mm. The stairs run up the party wall and the landing is central to the first floor.
Does this sound reasonable for a 30 year old house or does it sound like something that an expert should come to look at please?
Would central heating cause joists to dry out and expand or twist over the winter to a level that this effect occurs?

Thanks,
Douche!

Sponsored Links
Hello,
My house is a 30 year old Wimpey no fines semi detached home.
Recently I have noticed a plaster crack has appeared along the edge of the stairway string, pretty much the full length of the string. Cracks have also appeared in the landing walls, where the stud walls meet the ceiling, and in the grout where the stairway header boxing tiling meets the floor tiling in the bathroom.It looks like the ceiling has separated from the walls by 1.5mm to 2mm. The stairs run up the party wall and the landing is central to the first floor.
Does this sound reasonable for a 30 year old house or does it sound like something that an expert should come to look at please?
Would central heating cause joists to dry out and expand or twist over the winter to a level that this effect occurs?

Thanks,
Douche!

in 30 years i would have assumed that everything has dried out!

can you take a picture and post here?

Sounds like cracking along the junction of adjoining materials. Very common in 30 yr old houses. Without seeing it, I'll bet it's nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
It is a common occurrence in no-fine houses and other system built properties too, and relates to how the solid exterior walls and lightweight interior ones cope with heat and humidity. So it is normally down to thermal movement (ie shrinkage)

Its also common in cold winters when the heating is cranked up and also at spring time when heating patterns change again

If the movement is ongoing and cracks get to 10mm or so, then that is the time to investigate further

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back