Cracks following removal of a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Our builder has this week removed a single skin internal 3m long brick wall in our kitchen which supports one of the bathroom walls above. The ceiling joists (both 1st floor and loft) run parallel to the wall. A huge steel lintel has been inserted, using props.

The problem I have is that some small cracks have appeared in the wall upstairs where the coving meets the plaster and by the corner of the door frame. The cracks are less than 1mm wide. The lock on the bathroom door is now misaligned by a couple of mm, as is a door in the wall in question.

To my simple mind it would appear that the wall has dropped or setlled as a result of the building works, and/or the movement has occurred due to all the banging and vibration involved in removing the wall. If that is the case, now that the lintel is in place, I would hope that the cracking will not spread.

Building Control were happy to do all of this by notice and I hope that they can take a look. In the meantime, please can someone offer any advice as to whether this is likley to be just a scare that will not get any worse, or is it sometyhing that I ought to be worried about?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I doubt that the cracking at first floor ceiling level is a result of the recent building work.

This would indicate that the entire wall right up to the ceiling would have had to shift downwards.

I'd bet that door was crooked beforehand too.

Sponsored Links
Big - All,

It's been just under a week since the wall came down and the lintel went in. I've noticed a couple of small extra cracks and hope this is still just settlement taking place.

How long do you think it should be before any settlement stops? Please see the attached photos.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back