Cracks in bedroom wall above 1yr old single storey extension

Sponsored Links
no sign of cracking on the outside, but the internal cracks are at a level which on the outside is obscured by the single storey extension roof (so we can't really tell). Thanks

I see - I'm just wondering if there was sufficient foundation put in for the extension, or whether its actually cracking away from the house due to its own weight.
Either way, time for a structural engineer to attend....in no way are these cracks normal.
Wishing you luck!
John :)

obviously, the extension was signed off by Building Control (Building Regs), so I'm assuming they checked both the beam and the foundations)

Sponsored Links
Indeed you would have expected that to be the case, but what the eye can't see etc.....
Either way, you can expect small shrinkage cracks on any new build - but to snap skirting boards? No, I don't think so.
Anyway, try not to worry about it - a structural engineer will see whats what, although there may be some dismantling involved. Personally I'd like to reveal the concrete raft below the floor to see what thats doing.
John :)

Thanks for all your advice.

I've had a structural engineer look at it and he said that the beam has deflected. He said it's within the acceptable amount for a beam of that size. He also said that now it's happened, it shouldn't move any further. He checked all the calculations and said it should be fine.

Thanks again for your advice.

this is a worrying problem, as the guy said it could be a poorly packed support or insufficient bearing or insufficient selection of beam. Get a new builder in to expose and rectify and phone a lawyer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back