Cracks in mortise and tenon door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently repainting a client's front door.

WP_20181001_13_38_13_Pro.jpg

All of the mortise and tenons joins are cracked (hairline). I plan to drill wooden dowels to lock them in place and use polyurethane to glue the dowels. I plan to leave them slightly under the face surface and then back fill them with 2K or epoxy filler.

I then intend to use a multitool to remove the old 2K filler from the gaps and fill with Timbacare 1 hour epoxy.

I also have a pretty substantial crack to the side of the the letter box.

WP_20181002_11_46_59_Pro.jpg

It runs down diagonally all the way through the rail. Is there anything I can do other than filling it with 1 hour or even 4 hour Timbacare epoxy? Would dowels drilled perpendicular to the crack help at all?

Finally, I have some large gaps where the recessed panels are.

WP_20181002_10_11_59_Pro.jpg

Not really sure what to do with those. I did quickly paint the door earlier this year but explained to the client that it was only a temporary job. I used CT1 to cover the cracks where the panels meet the rails and styles, the CT1 didn't crack but a hairline crack appeared where it meets the old paint on the panel.

I am guessing that the door is about 140 years old. I don't think it has ever been dipped but I can see that it was stripped with heat gun about three decorations ago.

The door doesn't get very wet unless the wind is quite blustery.

I does get quite a bit of sunlight until the late afternoon, and yes the clients want me to stick with the dark green paint

Any (sensible) advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The joint between stiles and rails will always crack -its caused the the expansion and contraction of the stile across its width -it causes the paint to fracture

Id be tempted to form a V at the joint with a stanley blade and either fill with ms polymer or leave and paint into the V -whcih stops the paint fracturing in the future.

Timber doors and dark paint is not a good combination if the door sees the sun.

the trouble you have is
if the joints have opened up in the past and they have been bodged filler and planed to fit again rather than closed and pegged
if now you do it properly and clean out the shoulder glue and clamp tight before pegging with dowels it may finish a bit undersized
how much filler is in the joints ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back