Cracks in newly plastered wall - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, joined this forum as the wife and I are really worried about some cracks that have appeared in an internal wall in a house we have bought 6 months ago.

The house was re plastered throughout around 4 months before we bought so the work isn't even 1 year old! It's a mid terrace circa 1900 and the crack is on a ground floor internal wall. I've knocked the wall with knuckles and the plaster sounds hollow up to approx 3 feet all the way accross the wall. Crack getting progressively worse. I'm guessing through initial research that the plaster is blown, but I'm concerned why this has happened in such new plaster.

Any advice would be appreciated

1CDA8C99-F59E-4EBE-BF84-BF3351196BB8-5435-00000488321E3051.jpg

Sponsored Links
Probably been skimmed over old lime plaster to sell the joint. It's just cracking due to heating cycle - cold all day when you're at work - then you come home and put the heating on. Just fill it and see how it goes. The worst that will happen is that you need to do a bit of replastering. Not a major problem.

Many thanks for the reply, sounds reassuring.

Thing I don't understand is why the plaster has apparently blown all along the bottom of the wall. I can tell this from knocking the wall with my knuckles all along the wall. It seems to have blown in a straight horizontal line so the bottom 3 feet of the plaster has blown. Can anyone tell me why this might be? Is it damp? I can't see any sign of damp on the plaster itself though.

Cheers

i agree with joe the house was probably toshed up to sell, but that crack looks like an old problem to me as it looks like its not just the fresh skim that has cracked, I have a feeling if you went through the house inspecting the walls you will find that you will find more blown plaster underneath

Sponsored Links
There is another wall with a similar area of blown plaster around 3 feet high all along the wall. The 'stop' point is very much a horizontal line 3 feet high all along the wall. I'm just curious what is the cause. Do you think it's damp that has caused this or house movement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back