Cracks in newly plastered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I had the alcove of my window re-plastered back in February as there were long cracks but they have come back?? Does anyone know what can cause this and how I can stop it from happening again? Pic attached:

View media item 63506

Sponsored Links
Get the guys back who did the job in the first place. You might have to get them back on the premise of "I want you to have a look at this job I want doing". When they come back get them to explain to you how the cracks appeared.... ;)

Did the alcove wall have movement in it before it was plastered?

Hi Johnmelad.

Yes there were cracks there before which is why i had it re-plastered.

Sponsored Links
I had the alcove of my window re-plastered back in February as there were long cracks but they have come back?? Does anyone know what can cause this and how I can stop it from happening again?

You say re-plastered, do you know if they just over-skimmed? Possibly with sticking some scrim tape over the top first?
Those cracks look like they would need more attention than that.

As Roy C says, is best course of action from here.

For cracks of that size, I would expect them to do a deeper repair.
E.g. to cut out with a stanley knife the area up to window frame and around the cracks (with a bit extra) and take back to brick.
Metal lath secured over the cracks (that will probably be evident in the bricks/mortar underneath).
Then undercoat plaster or render over the lath-ed area before applying a final skim.
It's only a window alcove, so hopefully not a massive area to re-skim rather than patch in.

I'm certainly no expert but I'v just bought a house with bay windows which have extensive cracks, these we believe are caused by insufficient foundations under the bays as was apparently common for houses of this era.
Re-plastering won't solve the problem but only hide it until they reopen again. Of course your issue may have merely been cosmetic but the fact they opened up again leads me to think not.
Good Luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back