Cracks in wall and ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the upstairs 1st floor flat of a house built in 1900 approx. I have recently noticed that there are lots of cracks appearing on the walls and ceilings in every room. I have checked with the people living in the downstairs flat and they also have cracks but maybe not as many as I do.
Some of the cracks go from one side of the wall/ceiling completely across to the other side. See attached some of the cracks.

There two large trees - a conifer and Pine, both about 1.5 to 2 times the height of the 2-storey house. I am looking to get both of then cut down to ground level and then kill/dry-out the roots using herbicide or other such.

I live in London and the house is built-in/on area that has “London-clay” or “River terrace sand/gravel” soil type depending on which website I use to check.

Do I need to get a structural engineer or such to come check the property, do I need to worry about all these cracks appearing? I have a leasehold on my 1st floor flat and not do not own part/share of the freehold on it.
PXL_20230424_005732984.jpgPXL_20230424_005747040.jpgPXL_20230424_005837705.jpgPXL_20230424_005847034.jpgPXL_20230424_005852316.jpgPXL_20230425_105230049.jpgPXL_20230425_105242100.jpgPXL_20230425_105350694.jpgPXL_20230425_132245072.jpgPXL_20230425_132249722.jpg

Sponsored Links
You and your neighbours obviously have some structural issues and whilst it is unlikely the building is going to sudden fall down it would be prudent to have it investigated. I would suggest that you and your neighbours commission a structural report, it is better to have it done as a whole then the SE can see how each flat is being affected and will have a better handle on the underlying issue.

So put the tree cutting on hold and get a structural engineer in first, would be the best way to go?

Sponsored Links
May well be some seasonal thermal movement as everyone starts to turn the heating down

I think there have been more cracks appearing in the last year or 2. As I had to have a valuation done when I came to extend my lease, the guy who came to value the property (for the freeholder who is a non-for-profit large housing trust), said it was probably the original plastering, but from memory there was not as much cracks evident. There not not many cracks on the brickwork on the outside.
Where is the best place to find a good structural engineer to do a inspection report please?

Cutting trees down is probably sensible, but it may be advisable to do it in two stages - a reduction to begin with followed by removal after another growing season. Your tree person should be able to advise further on that.

As woody says, the cracking could easily be innocuous thermal movement. You won't really know for sure without exposing the structure (hacking off plaster) or unless there is anything visible on the external? My advice is mark the ends of cracks with a light pencil mark, photograph the marks and put them into a folder. Check them again in 6 or 12 months.

Another issue is that the flat downstairs is rented out and the owner of the flat is the type who does not want to spend any money on it. It has taken a long while and lots of going back and forth to get him to agree to pay towards cutting the 2 trees down. The garden is shared, one side is mine and other his. There is a tree in both sides of the garden.
The trees are to be felled to ground level and then I will dry-out the roots with herbicide at a later date

Additionally it is a mid-terraced house, is it worth checking with the neighbours next door on either side whether they also have cracks?

With regards to a report, do I need to get a Specific Structural Inspection (SSI) or General Structural Inspection (GSI) report?

Last edited:
most of the cracks are hairline, or max 2mm wide. Could this be weather related, all the adverse weather that we have been having?. Over the last 2 to 3 years. The flat was been empty for quite lengthy periods at a time as I have been away having to go stay with my mum due to her health problems. So the heating has been off during cold periods/wet periods when I have not been staying at home, would that contribute towards cracking the plastering crack?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back