cracks in wall

Bear in mind that findanengineer only lists about 5-10% of consultants.. if that.. google will list more..

Sponsored Links
You need to find someone, preferably chartered, who has experience in this sort of investigative work. It is quite different to new build, and causes of cracking are not always immediately obvious. It is quite correct that only a small proportion of engineers are listed on that website, but as I said it should serve as a starting point. I'd have a look in all relevant categories. A careful look in the yellow pages may also be worthwhile.

One of the builders has now been round, he mentioned that a strutural engineer may advise to bring the whole thing down but it is not necessary, the walls are solid, for piece of mind maybe add gallows brackets to the top and bottom then make good. the other builders due round about 5:30

He mentioned that a strutural engineer may advise to bring the whole thing down but it is not necessary

Has he put this in writing? Will he pay to rebuild it if it turns out that he is wrong? For a relatively small sum of money you could have a professional report on the problem, potentially with fully thought through remedial works and a plan of action going forward. Looking at it another way, they could also save you a lot of money in the long run by preventing any unnecessary works being carried out, and could look into the possibility of any insurance claims being made. Most importantly they will have PI insurance.

Sponsored Links
One of the builders has now been round, he mentioned that a strutural engineer may advise to bring the whole thing down but it is not necessary, the walls are solid, for piece of mind maybe add gallows brackets to the top and bottom then make good. the other builders due round about 5:30

Not sure a gallows bracket will do much if your foundations decide to shift again. If they don't pull straight out of the wall it will crack in another place...

Suppse they'll help stabilise things laterally though...although I'd put in a few more than two...where in Essex are you Joe?

sorry for the delay guys, things have been pretty busy. Both builders said pretty much the same thing. Any movement would generally happen in the first 5-10 years of the extension being built. its unlikely to get any worse then it already is.

It looks like the extension was tied-in to the main house wall by seting blocks every 3rd row of bricks which we are told was the building standard at the time where as now they use flexable fixings? to hopefully prevent this sort of thing happening.?

We are apparently on clay ground so there will always be a bit of movement. There are no cracks in the main house. The only cracks there are is in the extension were it joins the house.

I am in Rayleigh, Essex, any recommendations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back