Cracks in walls, real problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a property for purchase, it's been extended sometime, probably 10+ years ago with a 2 floor extension which has been added to the end of the property. There are cracks in the outside walls, some look like the extension is coming away from the original building slightly and there are a couple of snapped bricks, some look like a corner is dropping slightly. On the inside there is a bay window which has cracks above it and also one of the internal corners where the extension meets the original has a vertical crack. The owner says all the cracks have been there since before they bought it (I can believe it's not been decorated for 10+ years).

There used to be a lot of trees surrounding the property which were removed probably 5+ years ago.

I realise this would need a full structural survey but hearing about problems with insurance I'm thinking it's probably best just left alone. Am I being too concerned?

Thanks

Extension joins original View media item 43127Corner of extension View media item 43128Inside above bay in extension View media item 43129 [/img]

Sponsored Links
The fact that one or two of the bricks have cracked through is not good. The new pointing which has been applied lower down (near the post) has also cracked along the same line, suggesting that any movement could be continuing. Sometimes when trees are cut down, the ground can swell as it affects the moisture content of the ground, and so can lift the foundations if they are not deep enough.
Personally I'd leave well alone.

The fact that one or two of the bricks have cracked through is not good. The new pointing which has been applied lower down (near the post) has also cracked along the same line, suggesting that any movement could be continuing. Sometimes when trees are cut down, the ground can swell as it affects the moisture content of the ground, and so can lift the foundations if they are not deep enough.
Personally I'd leave well alone.

Yeah, I spotted that it had been re-pointed and that was now cracking too, real shame could be a nice property if done up. I suspect the poor guy who owns it will end up having to get rid at auction with a builder picking it up at next to nothing to do it up. We'd already guestimated a lot of work to be done but that didn't include solving this issue or the risks involved so not for us. It's currently up for 315k, reduced from 337 and zoopla reckons on 404-412! Was originally descibed as "well presented" lol
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back