Cramp or clamp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if someone could solve a disagreement I have been having with my Dad. When doing some DIY at my parents' house I asked him to pass me my "G-clamp" to which he refused to acknowledge the presence of such an item and handed me my "G-cramp" instead :D .

I have seen both terms used in shops and books. I prefer "clamp" as that is what it does, it "clamps" things together. But my Dad insists that clamp is incorrect and only cramp is correct.

Can anyone tell me which is correct, or is this one of those things (like banister/balluster) where either may be used?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
I was wondering if someone could solve a disagreement I have been having with my Dad. When doing some DIY at my parents' house I asked him to pass me my "G-clamp" to which he refused to acknowledge the presence of such an item and handed me my "G-cramp" instead :D .

I have seen both terms used in shops and books. I prefer "clamp" as that is what it does, it "clamps" things together. But my Dad insists that clamp is incorrect and only cramp is correct.

Can anyone tell me which is correct, or is this one of those things (like banister/balluster) where either may be used?

Cheers!

The correct term is 'cramp' as in 'Sash-Cramp' or 'G-Cramp'.

Today though, many more types of tools are available and referred to as 'Clamps' 'Quick-Clamps' for eg.

So tecnically depends on which specific tool...

I would feel though that in the future whenever your father mispronounces or uses an incorrect modern word that you should, point and laugh at him loudly and correct him in a condescending manner! :D

Just cos he has to get up and wee four times a night doesn't mean he can take it out on you!!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back