help!! edge jointing chunky oak boards with biscuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.... first post in this section. I need to make an oak shelf about 500mm square. I plan to do this out of some nice chunky oak i have which is kiln dried and has been under my bed for about a year.

Its 2" thick by 240mm wide and about 1.3mtr long.

If i join 2 pieces together ill get 480mm depth by 500mm long.
I plan to i guess use a biscuit jointer and clamp and glue the thing together.

hows the best way to go about this. Im guesiing standard clamps wont open that wide. I do have some 5foot sash cramps i used when i made my kitchen units.
Does it pay me to use say 4"x2" strips when clamping to cross stabilise the joint?

What about grain direction?>

Oh i have spare 2.5ltrs of sadolin clear satin exterior which i used when i put oak in bathrooms before. 4-5 coats of that stuff should stop any ingress of moisture. Worse case if the thing does warp ill just make another one :p

Sponsored Links
idealy you want to cut the boards in half and glue them with the curve of the growth rings alternating up then

yep buiscut/dowel together 2x1 or greater top and bottom surface you will need some g clamps or simmilar at at least 3 points accross the width to hold the 2x1" firmly
if your clamping at 2 points along the length use 3 pairs off 2x1" although i would personaly use 3 sash clamps with 4 pairs of 2x1"
only clamp the 2x1 tight on one half wind the sash clamps up tight other wise you will be clamping the boards appart

use clamping blocks and make shure your bars [if metal] dont touch the wood otherwise the tannin in the oak reacting with the steel will cause black marks on the oak

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back