Working with oak (help for a beginner)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I make quite a few cabinets for museums almost exclusively from birch plywood. I'm making some new things that want a 'woodier' finish so I'm toying with using oak but it's not a material I've used much before. I need to make some handrails (75mm2 uprights with some 100mmx25mm planks on the side) and half a mock shed (with 75mm2 uprights and plywood panels). If I use oak and veneered plywood am I setting myself up for a fall? Do I want green oak, air dried or kiln dried? It'll be indoors, will shrinkage be an issue? Can I screw it all together or do I need to use pegs for the chunkier joints? Anything else I need to worry about I need to router a few rebates and slots or should I give up now and use softwood and some stain? Thanks

Sponsored Links
iroko has similar grain can be stained up to look like oak and cheaper

ferrous metal and oak will cause blackening [spots stains an runs] when the steel reacts with the tannin in the oak so use brass or stainless fixings and screws

and metal bar clamps need seperation if the bar touches it can mark especially where moister or wet glue activates the tannin a bit off card will do

you van use chisels and router cutters no problem as long as they are dry
do NOT use steel wool :D

Thanks for the tips. The customer is keen on eco friendly materials which is a bit easier with oak than iroko

Is it only mild steel that reacts? Can I use Alumnium brackets or will these need a bit of card, too?

Do I want green oak, air dried or kiln dried if it being used indoors? A bit of research suggests I need dried timber but its a lot more expensive. I don't mind a slightly rustic look but I don't want it pulling itself apart after a few years.

if you dont pay the price you take the chance :eek:

go to a salvage yard without a silly name and silly prices and get some oak panels or length off timber for a hand rail thats done its bending twisting splitting
even more eco ;)

non ferrous = non magnetic off course stainless steel is magnetic but is coated to protect :D

Sponsored Links
Oak tannins react with iron, so any other metal or plated steel will be OK for internal joinery. Brass screws may need to be a bit bigger than equivalent plated steel as they can shear more easily

You would need seasoned or dried timber, as green oak will shrink and split quite a bit as it acclimatises

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back