Crayfish

Joined
30 May 2024
Messages
7,596
Reaction score
2,990
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't even know we had Crayfish down the brook.

5 dead . Worry me as tje dogs drink from this water.
20260921_140047.jpg
20260921_140151.jpg
20260921_140101.jpg


Rather big as well..
20260921_140517.jpg

Im size 17 foot
 
I think there’s some invasive species that are killing off the native ones, a bit like grey squirrels killing off the red ones.

"The American signal is larger and more aggressive, outcompeting its docile cousin for habitat and preying on their young. It also carries a fungal disease called 'crayfish plague', which is fatal for the white-clawed, and can be spread by wet footwear and equipment".

Keep out of the water!
 
The American signal crayfish carry a disease that kills native white claw crayfish. If I catch signals, they get crushed under my boot. They are good to eat, you can apply for a licence to trap them. The ones in the picture appear to be American ones
 
The American signal crayfish carry a disease that kills native white claw crayfish. If I catch signals, they get crushed under my boot. They are good to eat, you can apply for a licence to trap them. The ones in the picture appear to be American ones
I found a couple of Maga hats floating downstream. You maybe right ✅️!
 
I think there’s some invasive species that are killing off the native ones, a bit like grey squirrels killing off the red ones.

"The American signal is larger and more aggressive, outcompeting its docile cousin for habitat and preying on their young. It also carries a fungal disease called 'crayfish plague', which is fatal for the white-clawed, and can be spread by wet footwear and equipment".

Keep out of the water!
Grey squirrels cause the decline of red squirrels through indirect competition and disease, not killing them .
 
Back
Top