Creaking/knocking from pipes through wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last few months I have been waking up with the central heating system each morning. From what I can gather, tthe noise only occurs when the central heating is hot/warming up and it sounds loudest from this corner.

When I 'push' on the wall, it makes the same sort of noises that occur from the central heating system. If I put pressure on the wall when the central heating system is on, it stops the noise, but when I lift off it comes back.

All this makes me guess that the noise is caused by the hot pipes expanding and putting pressure on the walls. I am tempted to resort to chiselling out aroudn the pipes to expand the wall holes so that there is _no_ contact with the pipes.

Before I go about doing this, can anyone offer any advice or suggestions on if this will likely cause it?

IMG_20120321_071448.jpg

Sponsored Links
More than likely the cause. All pipes that pass through walls should be sleeved to allow for expansion and also to protect the pipes from corrosion and damage.

Can you elaborate on what this 'sleeve' is please? As in literally a plastic larger diameter pipe that it fits in to go through the wall?

Sponsored Links
The holes are too small
Chiseling out as you suggested will work but there is risk of damaging the pipes.

I ideal solution would be to remove the pipes drill a larger hole use a sleeve( larger pipe) and reconnect the pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back