Creaking staircase - let's have your ideas!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there! My wooden staircase creaks like mad when you walk on it. The house is less than 20 years old, so it obviously was a cheap/crummy installation.

As I am planning to have new carpet installed, shortly, I thought I would try and cure the creaking with a combination of screws and Gripfil!

I do not have access from underneath to do a 'proper' job, so would appreciate any comments from any of you who have had success in this task.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
archer1 said:
I do not have access from underneath to do a 'proper' job, so would appreciate any comments from any of you who have had success in this task.
Can you not get underneath at all or do you mean it's covered with plasterboards?

how old is the staircase if its much later than about the thirties then I doubt the risers will be thick enough to screw down into. gripfil and screws if you don't have access to the back is probably your best bet, if you are planning to carpet it you could try fixing some strips of wood to the front of the risers and then fixing down into this.
If however they are creaking because the bottom of the riser is not fixed properly then theres not alot you can do.

Sponsored Links
If all else fails you can always try the oldest trick in the book - squirt talcum power down all the joints you can find!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back