Upstairs plywood subfloor - creaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an upstairs chipboard subfloor underneath carpet (i have lifted the carpet) which is creaking along the lines where 2 sheets of chipboard meets.

I can see where a section was cut out of the chipboard and relayed. Where these sheets meet, the floor creaks when walked on. I have nailed it within an inch of its life and although its better...it still creaks.

I can only think that its the 2 chipboard sections rubbing off each other. Is there some sort of wood glue or sealant that i could run along where the woods meet that might solve this? Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
k - the only guaranteed fix is to lift that 'cut out' section then brace below where ALL chipboard edges meet, then relay the 'cut out' ... and use screws not nails. The bracing can be 25mm x 50mm batten glued and screwed below and onto the underside of the flooring in situ after the 'cut out' has been lifted ... run these batten ALONG the flooring edges to form a ledge for the 'cut out' to rest on. Only screw the 'cut out' down.

Yep, the squeeks & creeks are caused by the edges rubbing - the above prevents this. Forget about trying to fix from above with glue ... it will NEVER work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back