Creaking floors (chipboard)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new (13-year-old) house has creaking floors upstairs. I will want to replace the tired old carpets with wood laminate or new carpet (depending on who wins the argument, me or the wife), so want to do something to attend to this.

What should I expect? Have to replace the chipboard or just put some more nails/screws in?

Sponsored Links
We have the same problem. The boards were nailed down 15 years ago and have worked loose. Treat yourself to a cordless drill/driver, go to the nearest builder's merchant and buy a big box of good quality posi-drive screws and get to work. Also buy a proper bit holder for the drill with magnetic end and a set of hardened bits to suit the screws. Be careful only to put screws in next to existing nails or where you're certain there are no pipes or cables!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back