Creaking wooden flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My problem:
I have engineered wooden flooring in my lounge and hallway. It looks as good today as it did 15yrs ago when it was fitted. Sadly however, it has become rather noisy as it now creaks with virtually every footstep which is annoying for me and my neighbours downstairs. I am looking for a way to fix this.

The floor:
My flat is in the top floor of an old Victorian house. In 2008 after I bought it, I had some renovations done which included a new floor which was fitted professionally. The old laminate floor and the original floor boards beneath were removed. 22mm Caberdek chipboard flooring was then laid on the original wooden joists to which some new timbers were added where necessary to level out the flooring. The underlay and the engineered wooden flooring with was then laid on top of that.

Potential solution?
I recently had some wobbly tiles in my bathroom and used fix-a-floor which worked a treat for those. I am wondering if that will work for my current problem, but not sure if adding an adhesive beneath my floor is such a good idea.

I've attached pictures which shows the floor and also the profile of the flooring.

Any advice would be very much appreciated...

Attachments

• 20210831_063030.jpg
    20210831_063030.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210831_064940.jpg
    20210831_064940.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Assuming that the floor is a click system, I recently came across a material callef "Stop Squeak" which we tried out on a section of creaking laminate flooring. Seemed to work OK, but I only got a 10ml trial pack, which is good for about 2 square metres (they say). Available in larger sizes as well - the 10ml size is about a fiver on Amazon. We didn't use any more because at least half our snags are to do with sub floor installation issues, which requires the laminate to come up...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies...
Yes the floor has expansion gaps at the walls - it runs under the skirting with plenty of space where it ends. The floor does run through the hallway and into the lounge without a break in one section with runs to 10m which is no doubt too long. Having said that, that section is just a small width (1m) and the floor squeaks in other areas also (lounge is 7m x 6m).
Will first try fix-a-floor on a section and then Stop Creak and see how I get on.
I fear that the issue is more fundamental (ie wooden joists not as level as they used to be), but if this works as a short term fix then I'll be happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back