Create cupboards in roof void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking for some advice.

We had out bungalow extended 12 years ago, using a mansard style roof at the back of the property, which leaves quite a large void either side.

The main roof is supported by a number of RJS's with two running from one end of the roof into the middle, joining a cross member running side to side....

Below the two RSJ's running from the end of the new roof are two false walls, making the main living space...

On one side we had out en-suite sunk p[artially into void created by the mansard, and to do this they simply doubled the size of the framework for every upright they removed from the false wall... so if the uprights were placed every 600mm and were 4x2, to create an 1800mm space they placed an extra 2x4 each end and another across the top of the frame to make up for the missing upright.....

I hope that makes sense...

I now want to create cupboard space on the other side of the roof and want to know if using the same process is acceptable or should I get a structural engineer out to advise me?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back