Create new window in detatched garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get more light into my garage, if I get a new window installed overlooking my own property, do I need pp or Building Regs approval?

Reading online there doesn't seem to be a clear answer. Any help very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I want to get more light into my garage, if I get a new window installed overlooking my own property, do I need pp or Building Regs approval?
As far as b regs goes it depends if the garage itself is exempt from B Regs, Is it detached, if so what is the floor area, distance to boundaries, type of construction.
If the garage is not exempt, B regs will only be required for the structural alterations and possibly fire safety if on or close to a boundary. Part L (thermal insulation) will not normally apply.

It is detached, brick built, approx 15m2 and about 1m away from a neighbouring property.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds complex enough to get someone in who knows and assess better than myself. Is there any registered body or affliation I should be looking for when hiring someone?

Sponsored Links
You just need someone who is competent. There are no registered bodies for this type of work, only trade associations with various dubious membership criteria.

It is detached, brick built, approx 15m2 and about 1m away from a neighbouring property.
In that case its an exempt building the carrying out of this work will not require B Regs.
No building regs required for garage conversions :rolleyes:
Wrong again as usual, in this instance if work is carried out to a schedule 2 exempt building so that it is no longer exempt then this would be a material change of use.
I thought you said people shouldn't make comment on fields they haven't worked in?

, in this instance if work is carried out to a schedule 2 exempt building so that it is no longer exempt then this would be a material change of use.
Now really confused.

A full garage conversion, which naturally includes a window (amongst lots of other things) does not require building regulations (according to you), but just putting a window in an otherwise empty garage does? o_O

To be honest, the window will overlook your property, be invisible from the road and most likely, if used, keep the garage dry.
Even at point of sale, nobody would ever look at that window and question why is there and when it was installed.

No building regs required for garage conversions :rolleyes:

I have a 30m^2 detached garage well away from boundaries. Can I convert it to a 'granny annex without BR? Seems unlikely...

No? Then what about a 'garden room'? (with shower, loo and very basic-for-hot-snacks-kitchen. And a day bed for snoozes)?

I have a 30m^2 detached garage well away from boundaries. Can I convert it to a 'granny annex without BR? Seems unlikely...
This would have sleeping accomodation and would therefore require B Regs as it is a "material change of use"
No? Then what about a 'garden room'? (with shower, loo and very basic-for-hot-snacks-kitchen. And a day bed for snoozes)?
As long as it does not have sleeping accomodation this would not require B regs for a M"material change of use" though some provisions of Part G would apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back