Creating a loft/storage space in a tall ceiling-ed room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just wanted an idea of what kind of job this would be.

I want to create a loft/storage space in one of our spare bedrooms. The ceiling is very high as we have no loft space in this house.

In the pictures you can see the size of the room, I wanted to add the new ceiling/floor just above the height of the windows. It'll be just for storing boxes really, I wanted to add a loft ladder and a light.

The size of the room is roughly 7ft x 11ft.

I should add, the house is newly built(almost 3 yrs) and it is timber framed.

Admittedly, I've not done my research(yet). I'm assuming it would be a case of removing sections of the plaster board where the uprights are and fixing beams to them at certain intervals and then adding lateral supports between them, plasterboard the new ceiling(light is mounted on the wall below proposed ceiling height so no problem there) and loft board the new floor? I've obviously missed bits there but wanted a bit of advise before delving too deeply.

The size of the room is roughly 7ft x 11ft.

I want to give it a go myself... I've built a couple of partition walls and done plenty of regular DIY before but if anyone had an idea of how much this would cost from a builder that'd be great too, I have no idea so if the price is reasonable I'd get a builder.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150715_195243.jpg
    IMG_20150715_195243.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_20150715_195256.jpg
    IMG_20150715_195256.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 290
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back